Thursday, October 10, 2013

Door quieter: a tutorial

I really, really enjoy making gifts for my friends and family that are useful. I've been making a few things for a pregnant friend and thought this was be the perfect time to share an easy baby gift tutorial. I have no clue what to call this... a door muffler? Door clicky thing stopper? Door stopper? No more screaming baby from the sound of the door slamming stopper? No more pinched fingers stopper? Yea.. I dunno.. but you get the idea. :D

Please pardon my ancient doors, I live in a house in New Orleans that was built a loooooonnnnnggg time ago.




You'll need: 
2 pieces of fabric roughly 3 inches by 4 inches
1 or 2 pieces of felt cut the same size (I did 2 but I think you could possibly get away with 1 as it's pretty thick)
2 hair ties or ribbon



Put down felt, then lay a piece of fabric RIGHT side up, add your elastic or ribbon and place the other piece of fabric WRONG side down.
Pin in place.

Sew about a 1/4 inch seam all the way around leaving approximately a 2-3 inch gap for turning.


Cut the elastic. (or ribbon)

Trim the corners.

Stick your finger between the two pieces of fabric and turn right side out. Poke the corners out with something pokey, press and pin the hole open.

Carefully sew as close to the edge as possible making sure to close up the hole.

Step back and admire your handy work!



A few notes:

This was pretty thick to sew through with 2 pieces of felt and the hair ties. SEW CAREFULLY WITH A GOOD NEEDLE!

While it's easy to slip the elastic over the doorknob, ribbon would give it a more custom fit.

You could most likely get away with fabric that measures 2 in x 3 in. 

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. This. Is. Genius.

    Oh, and I think you should have named it the door clicky thing stopper. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! Great way to use scrap fabric!

    ReplyDelete