Monday, September 30, 2013

Hello out there!

I have been crafting since at least Kindergarten. I remember sneaking needles and thread out of my grandmother's sewing box so I could sew up random pieces of old clothing to create new outfits for my Barbie's. As the years went on I'd stay up for hours and turn my old jeans into skirts, all by hand. I got my first "sewing machine" in '09. I wish I had a picture of it. My aunt bought it for $10 during black Friday and it was so tiny. Think of the kid sewing machines without the guard except it wasn't battery operated. I became a stay at home mom that year with the birth of our 2nd child so I wanted something to do with the extra time I had on my hands.



My very first project! I couldn't contain my joy over that itty bitty elephant. My son chewed on it until one sad day it was lost in the grocery store. From then on I sewed cloth diapers, simple pants, lunch bags and refashions until one day the machine just stopped. 


My husband bought me a Singer Simple 2263 at the beginning of 2010 for my birthday and you couldn't tell me nothin'! Every free moment I had was spent looking at sewing blogs trying to learn new things for my new machine.


I started to get bold. I was just wingin' it until I got it right. If I saw something and I liked it I'd start cutting and sewing until it looked right. I think that's my biggest tip when it comes to sewing. Do it until it feels right. It may not start out perfect but eventually your skills will increase. Like they say, practice makes perfect!




Fast forward to 2013. I'll try almost anything. Why buy it if you can make it? I still have so much to learn but have already came so far. I JUST learned how to do a decent buttonhole after many botched attempts.

You wouldn't believe how many friends, family members and even strangers have said to me "I wish I could sew." Well I'm here to tell you that you can! I created this blog to give back, to show you that learning something new is not only possible, but fun too. I have lots of tutorials and tips that I plan to share so please stop by often!

No comments:

Post a Comment